The best practice before installing new insulation is to remove old insulation. Old insulation can pollute the air with all the contaminated particles’ presence in insulation. It can create health problems. Inhaling that contaminated air could lead to serious problems in breathing. Old insulation can cost lots of money in saving energy because old contaminated insulation will stop working as a barrier to heat loss or heat gain as of outside temperature.
Insulation removal is compulsory when it damaged due to fire or water because in these instances’ insulation gets damaged beyond working. Properly installed insulation can last for decades. It is very rare that insulation needs to be removed. Insulation installation is a time investment for long period. Rooftop rodents are a typical issue around neighbors with natural product trees. You may even hear them tapping around your upper room around evening time. These critters will assemble homes and utilize the insulation as their home while apparently duplicating and welcoming every one of their companions to their new home. Rodent pee and droppings are perilous and should be eliminated alongside all the insulation in the contaminated regions. On the off chance that a rodent has been in a region, a path of droppings will tail them. In this circumstance, insulation removal is vital and the insulation area must be sanitized before blowing in new insulation. Importantly Attic Insulation Removal, Attics are those spaces in the house where heat flow is directed from other warm spaces. Naturally, attic insulation helps to maintain and balance the indoor temperature. Many homes need attic insulation removal as much as they need it insulated.
Insulation must be removed only if it’s damaged!
Following are the damages causing insulation beyond working;-
- Water – Getting damaged because of water is one of the common causes. Cellulose insulation can be recovered once insulation gets dried out. Mold growth in cellulose insulation is very rare because cellulose is recycled paper but treated with chemicals that prevent mold growth. On the other hand, fiberglass doesn’t support mold growth, but once it gets wet, insulation gets dirty that leads to mold growth.
- Ice damming – Ice damming in insulation occurs during the winter season. When ice freezes on top of the house, it gets melted by warm air then water sweeps inside insulation and refreezes again. This causes insulation beyond working.
- Pests and Rodents – There are a number of animals and pests that can damage insulation. Animal infestation and the presence of mold make any insulation hazardous to the health of home occupants. Once you’re starting to hear scratch sounds from inside insulation, then consider you need to address the damaged area and get removed that portion of the insulation.
- Age of Insulation – Most of the Insulation can be last long for decades. Sometimes due to some damage life of insulation gets shortened. Mold is one of the reasons, which may grow over time. Mold should be addressed and removed before its late. Because mold may pollute the air inside your house.
Types of Insulation Removal
- Fiberglass Insulation Removal:- Removing fiberglass insulation can be a hard job to do, fiberglass contains thin and sharp glass which may create stuck in the skin while removing it. Proper care must be taken while removing fiberglass.
- Cellulose Insulation Removal:- Cellulose is material that comes in the form of loose fills, which makes removal hard. To remove cellulose insulation requires a specially designed vacuum machine to transport cellulose to storage. It is recommended to do cellulose removal should be done by specialists.
- Vermiculite Removal:- Vermiculate is not hazardous to health, till 1990 vermiculite was mixed with asbestos. If vermiculite insulation was installed before 1990, then there are chances of asbestos presence in vermiculite. It is recommended to do an audit on it before removing yourself.
How insulation removal can be done?
There are only 2 ways, Do It Yourself or leave it to specialists. If there is no mold, rodents, asbestos, you can Do It Yourself. Removing insulation can be a messy job to do, old insulation contains a lot of contaminants that can harmful to health if you remove it by yourself. It should proceed with caution. Insulation removal can be usually chaotic and exhausting. Cellulose insulation removal is a messy job. Firstly, as homes are not airtight cellulose becomes difficult to work on. Secondly, it will need you to have your living space covered to prevent the dust aftermath. You may think of spending some extra money on safety equipment and do it on your own. But there are possibilities of the removal going wrong. Experts can make your job easy and know what precautions to take. Take the help of experts in case insulation removal is your need of the hour. Insulation materials like cellulose are available in loose fils can be hard to remove just by using hands. It requires a specially designed vacuum machine to suck it up.
In most cases’ insulation stop working because of improper insulation, which may create drafting. In the end, it will stop working as insulation. So this insulation should be removed? The answer is no! Until Insulation damaged, it will work as a barrier to heat. The solution for improper fiberglass insulation is loose fills in the gaps. Like filling loose fills on top of the fiberglass batts and under the fiberglass batts.